What your skin care routine is missing: essential oils!
Have you noticed that essential oils are becoming more and more popular? They are popping up in places you would never expect. I was in the grocery store last week, and there was a display for diffusers and essential oils! So what are they and why are people taking notice? How can they benefit you?
Essential oils are the therapeutic component of a plant, distilled and cold pressed. There are hundreds of known plants with therapeutic uses. Essential oils have been used since ancient times: the Egyptians used them for beauty and healing. There are biblical references to essential oils: think Frankincense and Myrrh. They were the first therapeutic agents for centuries yet recently abandoned for more modern alternatives. Many people have gone back to Mother Nature to find a more natural alternative to maintaining their health, beauty and wellbeing.
Before we start in on the details. Let’s talk safety and purity. There is no regulation as to the labeling of essential oils. For an essential oil to be labeled as “pure” only 10% of the content needs to actually be pure. The companies can dilute, alter or add to the essential oil and still call it pure. Do your research, look for a company that owns their own fields and distilleries. You want therapeutic grade essential oils to get the desired benefits. Otherwise, you have no idea what you are applying to your body. Most store bought oils cannot ensure the purity of their product. They focus on quantity not quality. You want the best and should not accept anything less!
How can you incorporate essential oils into your beauty regime? Easy! You don’t need to go out and change everything you use, but can make small additions and changes to what already works for you.
Here are the Top 5 essential oils to make your skin glow!
- A versatile essential oil, known for its skin healing properties
- Apply to cuts, burns, scars to encourage healing. Apply it directly to blemishes to reduce redness. Apply it to bug bites to decrease itchiness and speeds up healing.
- Amazing on sunburns, it cools the skin and helps prevent peeling and blistering. Apply it directly to the sunburn or add a few drops to your body lotion.
- If you are not getting your beauty sleep, your skin looks tired and drawn, with bags under your eyes. Diffuse lavender at night or apply a drop to your pillow for a restful sleep. You will thank me in the morning!
- Used for centuries as a way to reduce the signs of aging. The Egyptians used it to improve the look of their skin, to help keep them looking young (hint: wrinkles).
- Mix 1 drop to your regular face moisturizer to boost skin’s radiance.
- Especially beneficial for mature complexions. But let’s face it, it’s never too early to prevent the signs of aging!
- Add another drop or 2 to your body lotion for smoother skin (think thighs!).
- In the diffuser, it helps to relax after a rough day. Less stress equals less worry lines!
- Gentle floral scent, it is well known for brightening skin tone
- Helps to smooth and tone the skin
- Excellent for oily skin
- Add 4-5 drops in a 2 oz water bottle, spritz over skin for a refreshing, revitalizing effect. Makes you glow without the shine.
- Versatile oil for hair and skin
- Great to nourish and smooth all skin types. Add 1-2 drops to your favorite body or face lotion.
- Add 3-4 drops to a bowl of hot water. Cover your head and bowl with a towel to open pores and enjoy the calming aroma. Amplify the benefit by adding 1 drop to you facial moisturizer.
- Nourishes scalp: mix 5 drops with coconut or argan oil and massage into scalp. Wait 30 minutes then wash hair as usual. For an extra boost, add 2 drops to shampoo.
Tea Tree (melaleuca)
- Widely known oil with multiple uses
- Cleanser for a variety of issues. Frequently used in acne products, tea tree helps diminish blemishes and redness.
- Apply directly to blemishes to help reduce redness and promotes healing.
- It is also used to treat skin issues. A dermatologist recommended using tea tree on your toes after a pedicure to prevent fungal infections.
Want beautiful locks?
Try this mermaid hair spray to keep your hair beautiful, shiny and hydrated.
- 30 drops Lavender
- 30 drops Cedarwood
- 30 drops Rosemary
- 2 oz witch hazel
Add all ingredients to a spray bottle. Apply to hair after washing. Be prepared for compliments!
Essential oils have become more popular over recent years and can benefit your health, wellness and beauty regime. Look for therapeutic grade oils and a company that can guarantee the purity of their product. You want to know that what you are applying to your skin is of the best quality. Whether you are looking to treat your complexion, fight the signs of aging or just want your skin to glow, there’s an oil for that!
Shannon McNamara is a Nurse Practitioner in cardiology in the Montreal area, as well as a wife and mother to 2 teenaged boys. Her interest in essential oils became a passion and she now gives classes and presentations on a variety of subjects related to essential oils. You can learn more about her and her passion for essential oils by visiting her website www.essentialoilmom.rocks.